Shared Phidgets Requirements Download And Installation Instructions
<< Back to the SharedPhidgets 3 page
The setup program of the Shared Phidgets toolkit installs and registers all necessary components to your system, so that the installation is fairly easy. Just follow the following steps to install the toolkit on your computer:
Step 1. Requirements:
- Computer system: x86 based computer, running Windows XP or Windows Vista. 20 MB space on the harddrive.
- Development: Visual Studio 2005 (automatic integration of library into toolbox, installation of development templates, and IDE plug-in). In general, any .NET programming language is supported: C++, C#, J#, Visual Basic.
- Physical hardware: Phidgets devices, GPS Pharos 360, Nokia phones, Windows Mobile PDAs.
Step 2. Download and run the setup:
- Download one of the two versions of the toolkit setup:
The 'Complete' setup includes the developer library, the explorer utilities, the Visual Studio add-in, the development template, source code, examples, and documentation. This setup automatically adds the library to the Visual Studio toolbox, installs the template, and integrates the add-in into the Visual Studio IDE. The 'Complete' setup might require administrative rights when installed on Windows Vista. This is due to the access to the Visual Studio IDE to integrate the library and add-ins. However, the 'Light' setup does not need administrator rights.
- Run the setup and follow the setup instructions.
- If the 'Complete' setup was chosen, the installer will also integrate the developer library into the Visual Studio toolbox, add programming templates, and the development IDE plug-in.
- Finished: When the setup is finished, you have the Shared Phidgets toolkit readily installed on your computer.
Step 3. Using hardware and start programming:
- Run the SharedPhidgets Connector (from the Windows start menu): by default, a local instance of the shared dictionary is opened. To connect to a remote instance, enter the address in the configuration panel.
- Once the connector is started, the hardware devices (e.g., Phidgets) can be connected to the computer, and are available via the shared data space.
- It is now possible to start with the development, e.g., with the integrated Visual Studio template and add-in, or by using drag-and-drop to add components from the toolbox to the development project.