The CommunityBar system displays media items within a sidebar. However, Community Bar is also a toolkit that lets you develop your own media items. This package includes a template and instructions for how to do this.
- Photo media item Allows photos to be shared by a group. Creator: Saul Greenberg
- Screen Sharing media item Allows computer desktops to be shared by a group. Creator: Kimberly Tee
- Presence Item Very complex Media Item with a lot of functionality.
- Chat Item Supports text chat. Probably the best existing demonstration of the value of the Tile-Transient-Separate transition.
- Invitation Item Item for scheduling group events.
- Sticky Item Only the owner can enter text. Useful for announcements and notices.
- Web Item Allows web pages to be shared. Displays a capture of the web page.
- McEwan, G., Greenberg, S., Rounding, M. and Boyle, M. (2006) Groupware Plug-ins: A Case Study of Extending Collaboration Functionality through Media Items. Proceedings of CollabTech 2006.
- McEwan, G., and Greenberg, S. (2005) Supporting Social Worlds with the Community Bar (PDF). Proceedings of the ACM Group 2005 Conference
- McEwan, G. and Greenberg, S. (2005) Community Bar Places for Collaboration (PDF). In Luigina Ciolfi, Geraldine Fitzpatrick and Liam Bannon (Eds) Workshop Proceedings Settings for Collaboration
- McEwan, G., and Greenberg, S. (2005) Community Bar (The Video) (AVI). Video Proceedings of ECSCW - European Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (Sept 18-22, Paris. Video, Duration 5:04)
- Gregor McEwan and Saul Greenberg. (2005) Community Bar: Designing for Awareness and Interaction (PDF). ACM CHI 2005 Workshop on Awareness systems Documentation