The Energy Viewer is an experiment in using an Augmented Reality approach to visualizing energy consumption in the home.
This project is a work-in-progress, and is under active development. It is included here for internal use rather than external dissemination. We do not recommend downloading it at this point. The features of the demonstration software and the focus of the research project may change significantly in the future, significant bugs may be present, document may be lacking, and major features may not yet be included.
WARNING! AVERTISSEMENT! ¡CUIDADO!
This project is under active development and is intended for testing and evaluation purposes only. We do not recommend it for downloading at this point by outside groups.
A list of known bugs is being maintained . If you happen to be using this project and discover any problems, please add a description of your bug to the wiki page, or email it to Saul Greenberg.
Download and Installation
Prerequisites and Dependencies
- Shared phidgets (at least one dial, one slider and one button)
- Database connection
The system assumes a camera is connected to a laptop or tablet PC, with the camera facing back from the screen i.e., so the screen when held up roughly points to the same direction as the camera.
- Version 0.0.1
- A simple version that recognize the AR tags, can draw boundaries, target the center and measure the distance to the camera.
- Version 0.0.2
- A complete version of EnergyViewer
- Be able to show different views based on the proximity between observer and the device
- Be able to visualize wattage, KWH, cost and CO2 consumptions
- Be able to move sliders for showing data from different timespan.
- Be able to rotate dial for switching among different modes (we have wattage/co2/cost/kwh/effiency mode)
- Be able to click snapshot to freeze the screen and click calenders to view the energy consumption of each day
- Deploy database and test database connection
- Plug shard phidgets and makse sure the phidgets have been connected
- Pre-install .NET 3.5 SP1
- Download EnergyViewer-0.0.2.msi
Running the MEdia Space
Starting up the office node
Project Members and Associateds
- Link to Paul and Helen's papers